Making the team were Austin Frick (infield), Brandan Pickett (catcher), Jon LeVan (outfield) and Jakob Arnold (starting pitcher). Sam Bennett (starting pitcher) received an honorable mention.
"It is great for the kids and Kodiak baseball in general," Kodiak manager Leonard Pickett said. "I was happy for the kids and happy for Kodiak."
Kodiak, Service and Kenai were the only teams to place four players on the team.
Frick was one of nine infielders selected to the team. The shortstop was second on the team in batting average (.423) and in runs batted in (18). He led the team with hits (30) and doubles (7) and only struck out twice in 74 league at-bats.
Pickett was one of three catchers placed on the team and hit .370 with 15 RBIs.
LeVan, one of six outfield selections, led the team in batting average (.442), on-base percentage (.632) and walks (22).
Arnold was one of eight pitchers selected. He posted a 3-0 league record with an earned run average of 2.52 in 39 1/3 innings. The right-hander struck out 36 and walked 18.
Bennett was 2-4 with a 3.64 ERA. He struck out 31 in 32 innings pitched.
The team of excellence was voted on by the 16 head coaches.
Contact Derek Clarkston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
American Legion team of excellence
• Outfield – Ryan Caron, Service; Cameron Fabacher, Eagle River; Spencer Floyd, South; Payton Lauwers, Dimond; Jon Levan, Kodiak; Brandon Neal, Chugiak.
• Infield – L.J. Felix, West; Deven Ferriss, Chugiak; Austin Frick, Kodiak; Lauren Frost, Eagle River; Tanner Petrie, Juneau; Matt Schnellbaecher, East; Hector Rivera, Kenai; Ben Ross, Wasilla; Mike Rosenberg, Eagle River.
• Catcher – Kenny Griffin, Kenai; Brandan Pickett, Kodiak; Alec Valdez, South.
• Utility – Thomas Bowe, Kenai; Gus Swanton, Juneau; Tristen Woods, Service.
• Starting pitcher – Jake Arnold, Kodiak; Scott Campos, East; Cameron Fabacher, Eagle River; Josh Fetko, Service; Nick Jensen, South; Nolan Monaghan, Wasilla; Tanner Petrie, Juneau; Dallas Pierren, Kenai.
• Relief pitcher – Tyler Boensch, Wasilla; Jacob Butcher, Wasilla; R.J. Dirscherl, Eagle River; Mike Shuler, Service.
• Coach of the year – Gregg Frost, Eagle River; Willie Paul, Service; Boone Thompson, Wasilla.