The Kodiak Island high school rural archery team placed second at the Alaska State NASP Archery Tournament.
The 15-person team was comprised of students from the rural schools. Each student shot at their respective school and scores were sent in to the state tournament. The results were announced last week.
Kodiak’s high school team was second out of six teams. The team placed fifth last year.
“One of my goals this year was to have a team place in the top half of the team competition,” rural schools archery director Russ Scotter wrote in a newsletter.
Damien Bennett-Melendez from Ouzinkie led the team by placing fifth out of 73 in the high school boys division — he was the second-best freshman shooter with a score of 270 (out of 300), which included 14 bullseyes. That was the top score from a rural student this season.
Dillon Peterson of Akhiok finished 11th in the high school boys division and was second in the sophomore division with a score of 271. David Reft of Karluk placed 18th overall with a score of 265 and Isiah Simeonoff of Akhiok was 25th with a total of 254.
Freshman Sarah Reft of Karluk was the top female shooter, placing 12th with a score of 261 in the high school girls division.
The middle school team placed 10th out of 11 teams. Eighth-grader Dale Reft of Karluk led the squad by placing 22nd out of 198 shooters with 260 points in the middle school boys division. Travis Amodo of Akhiok was 25th, Devon VonScheel of Ouzinkie was 31st and Joseph Brattole-Charliaga of Karluk was 36th.
Each participant shot 30 arrows — 15 from 10 meters and 15 from 15 meters.
“We did not have anyone qualify for nationals, but overall we shot very well and can be very proud of our student archers.”
Scotter started the rural archery program in 2008. Fifty-one students participated in this year’s archery season that started in January.
Akhiok claimed the rural schools elementary title, while Karluk won the middle and high school titles.
Contact the Daily Mirror sports department at email@example.com.
5. Damien Bennett Melendez, 279; 11. Dillon Peterson, 271; 18. David Reft, 265; 25. Isiah Simeonoff, 254; 44. John Aga, 237; 53. Colby Chya, 219;
22. Dale Reft, 260; 25. Travis Amodo, 258.; 31. Devon VonScheel, 252; 36. Joseph Brattole-Charliaga, 249.; 45. Dustin Reft, 239; 64. Emil Lind, 226.
16. Westin Charliaga, 219; 39. Lance Charliaga, 196; 79. Lucas Charliaga, 130.
12. Sarah Reft, 261; 31. Lorean Bircher, 228; 42. Brandy Boskofsky, 215; 48. Taylor Andrews, 202; 56. Shaloni Hochmuth, 175; 59. Kaitlyn Jennen, 163.
42. Gayle Aga, 227; 63. Sienna Rodgers, 206; 106. Elizabeth Lutter, 168.
14. Teanna Amodo, 239.