The dust has settled on Week 1 of the prep football season and there is a new team on top of Division 1.
East Anchorage soared to No. 1 in the Alaska Sports Broadcasting Network’s weekly rankings following a 44-16 thumping of previous-No. 4 Colony.
East was No. 3 in the preseason poll, while early favorite West Anchorage lost to Division II No. 1 Soldotna, 46-6, and dropped out of the poll that is voted on by Alaska’s media members.
South, Service, Chugiak and Wasilla rounded out the Division I rankings.
Chugiak, which topped Division II Palmer 26-2, travels to Kodiak Friday for the Bears’ home opener. Kickoff is 6 p.m. at Joe Floyd Track and Field.
Lathrop, Eielson, Barrow and Houston were ranked behind Soldotna in the Division II/III poll.
Eielson, Barrow and Houston all reside in Division III, Alaska’s smallest classification.
Division 1 (this week’s opponent)
1. East Anchorage, 1-0 (at Cesar Chavez, Arizona);
2. South Anchorage, 1-0 (vs. Colony)
3. Service, 1-0 (at Bartlett)
4. Chugiak, 1-0 (at Kodiak)
5. Wasilla, 1-0 (vs. North Pole)
1. Soldotna, 1-0 (at West Valley)
2. Lathrop, 1-0, (vs. West Anchorage)
3. Eielson, 1-0 (at Kenai)
4. Barrow, 1-0 (idle)
5. Houston, 1-0 (vs. Eagle River)