In the Courts: May 3 Dismissals
• One count of misconduct involving weapons against Andre Dahmani, 26, was dismissed April 26.
• One count of third-degree theft against Nicholaus Cooke-dew, 26, was dismissed April 1.
• One count of sixth-degree drugs misconduct against Michael Inga, 20, was dismissed March 8.
Public Safety Blotter: May 3 Wednesday, May 1
• At 1:31 a.m., an officer was on foot patrol on Marine Way.
• At 1:46 a.m., an officer was on foot patrol on Chichenof Street.
• At 1:59 a.m., an officer was on foot patrol on Marine Way.
• At 2:05 a.m., an officer investigated a suspicious vehicle on Alimaq Drive. All was OK.
Around Kodiak: May 3 Coast Guard Base Kodiak holds a tree-planting and clean up day today beginning at 9 a.m. A barbecue for all participants will take place at noon. Civilians are welcome to attend, and all are encouraged to enter the “trash-looking” dessert contest. Sign up for the cleanup at the Golden Anchor.
Coast Guard Blotter: May 3 Wednesday, May 1
• Coast Guard Air Station Kodiak temporarily deployed an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew and support personnel to their forward operating location in Cordova, to safeguard mariners in Prince William Sound and southcentral Alaska.
With an increased number of vessels operating in the...
Another Day in Paradise: Time to clean up May is clean-up month. This week, we will pay just a little more attention to picking up the litter that lines our streets and roadways. On Saturday, there will be crews out all over town to spruce up our image one more time before we get overrun with new faces so we can show them our best side. ...
Help clean up Kodiak this Saturday It’s time to clean up.
At 9 a.m. Saturday, hordes of local volunteers will gather at Kodiak High School, gloves in hand, to pick up trash bags.
Three hours later, those yellow bags, full of garbage, will dot the curbs and shoulders of roads across Kodiak. Ditches formerly full of garbage will be ...
Parents are at fault for childhood obesity To the Editor:
Childhood obesity has become a huge outbreak in our country in the past 30 years, and it’s beginning to look more like parents are playing a huge role in the cause. Parents today work more, cook meals at home less, and let their children snack more.
For instance, 30 years ago, ch...
Kodiak needs an indoor community fitness facility To the Editor:
I believe Kodiak needs an indoor sports center open to the whole community. Most of the existing facilities require you to be a military person or an Alaska native, but what about the town people who aren’t or have any Alaska native blood?
Building a community facility can help pe...