In the Courts: May 10 Dismissals
• One count of misconduct involving weapons against Andre Dahmani, 26, was dismissed April 26.
• Charges of violating conditions of release for a misdemeanor and fourth-degree drugs misconduct against Robert Houle Jr., 33, were dismissed.
• Charges of first-degree burglary, third-degre...
Senior Life: May celebrates Older Americans Month May is Older Americans Month throughout the country, and this year’s theme is, “Unleash the Power of Age.” And that is what we at the Senior Citizens of Kodiak Inc. try to do each day.
There are always activities at the center in which to participate. This Friday, we are having a special luncheo...
Tapestry: Overnight celebrity heads Young Life conference in Kodiak For a fleeting moment in the grand scheme of things, Brent Cunningham gained national fame. But what ultimately matters to this statewide director of Young Life, a Christian ministry that works with high schoolers, is the eternal.
Cunningham, who lives in Sitka, was one of the thousands who ran i...
Time to close online tax loophole This week, the U.S. Senate approved a bill that would force online stores with gross sales of $1 million or more to collect sales.
In 1992, the Supreme Court ruled a state can only collect taxes on businesses that have physical locations in that state. That’s a big boost for companies like Amazon...
Playbook: May 10 Friday, May 10
Baseball: Kodiak vs. Homer, 1 p.m.; vs. Wasilla, 7 p.m. at Wasilla. Junior varsity vs. Wasilla, 4 p.m.
Softball: Kodiak vs. Service, 5:45 p.m.; vs. Dimond, 7:30 p.m. in Anchorage. Junior varsity vs. South Anchorage, 4 p.m.
Track: Kodiak at the Region III Championships at Nikiski ...
Harbor deaths caused by heroin overdose More than two weeks after two men were found dead on separate boats in St. Paul and St. Herman harbors, the deaths were declared heroin-related by the state medical examiner’s office in Anchorage.
David Babarovich, 44, was found dead on the fishing vessel Alaska Patriot at 2:22 a.m. April 19, in ...
May 09, 2013 | 1 | 4 |
Nicole Klauss / firstname.lastname@example.orgKodiak Daily Mirror
KHS softball heads to Anchorage After spending a year away from softball, Kodiak’s Megan Pyles is making up for lost time.
Through the first eight games of the season, Pyles has cemented herself in the middle of the Bears’ batting order. The junior sports the team’s second-highest batting average at .412 (7 for 17), with five ...
May 09, 2013 | 0 | 0 |
Derek Clarkston / email@example.comKodiak Daily Mirror
Blotter: May 9 Sunday, May 5
• At 12:23 a.m., officers received several reports of a man causing problems. The man reportedly broke a window, scared people and took their money. He was involuntarily taken into protective custody to the hospital. Charges are pending.
• At 12:56 a.m., a caller reported seeing a v...