To the editor:
My name is Chris Ignatin from Old Harbor. I am in ninth grade at the Old Harbor School. I have recently learned about the PBDE/toxic chemical bills (Senate Bill 27 and House Bill 63). PBDEs are a flame retardant that is in furniture and electronics, which I never knew was there.
If a product with PBDEs in it catches fire and you inhale toxins, these chemicals can go in your body and never leave. This affects your health: your thyroid glands, reproductive system and beast milk, and may even cause cancer. I believe people should support this bill so babies will be healthy and not surrounded by PBDEs.
It is scary to think that if I am around PBDEs and I have children, that I can pass it on to them. Just thinking about my goddaughter being surrounded by these toxins makes me worry about her health. By passing these bills it will force people to use the safer alternatives that already exist. Please help me support this bill so that Alaska can be safe.
Chris Ignatin, 15