To the editor:
Recently, there has been numerous brush fires popping up throughout the state and I am concerned for Kodiak. I have observed many people throwing cigarettes out of their vehicles while driving down the road and I wonder if they have given thought to how their actions may start a fire contributing to the loss of a house, business or personal property.
With the start of summer activities, we all need to be mindful of how our actions can affect others and this beautiful island. Many brush fires are started by carelessness. Not keeping an eye on a campfire, fireworks or even a burn pile when clearing brush can easily lead to a mishap.