A fire in a home on Hemlock Street was extinguished early Thursday morning thanks to a quick response from Kodiak City Fire Department and Bayside Volunteer Fire Department.

Kodiak City Fire Chief Jim Mullican said the station received a call at 12:30 a.m. An engine and chief officer responded to the scene. When they arrived, the fire had been contained to a bathroom and no fire was visible from the outside of the home. Responders were able to extinguish the fire before it spread to other parts of the house.

Responders from the city fire department called for assistance from the Bayside fire department to complete salvage and overhaul, ensuring no further structural damage to the house. Responders left the scene at 2 a.m.

Mullican said damage from the fire, which affected a ceiling fan and attic space, was between $10,000 and $20,000. The fire likely started due to electrical issues related to the bathroom fan. 

“Thanks to quick response, crews were able to get in and extinguish the fire,” Mullican said. “Any longer, the fire could have extended to the entire roof.”

Mullican advised Kodiak residents to ensure their smoke detectors operate properly, and have a practiced evacuation plan in place.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.