The 169-foot fishing vessel Pacific Producer ran aground early Friday morning near Ouzinkie, capping a long run of bad luck for a boat notorious on the Kodiak waterfront.

According to the Coast Guard Marine Safety Detachment in Kodiak, the cause of the processing ship’s grounding was not immediately known.

“It’s still under investigation,” said Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class Guy Hughey on Friday. “It is not in danger of sinking and is not spilling any fuel.”

The Pacific Producer was traveling at nine knots when it ran aground at 5 a.m. between Ouzinkie and Kodiak Island. The vessel hit bow first on a gravel beach but did not report any damage.

Ten of the 16 people aboard the vessel were evacuated by a good Samaritan boat in the area. The fishing vessel Christy returned the 10 people, fish processing employees, to Kodiak around 9:45 a.m.

The other six crew members remained onboard the vessel to work on the situation. All were believed to be in good condition.

“As I know, no injuries,” Hughey said.

The city of Ouzinkie had a team of people monitoring the situation as well on Friday morning.

“All of our guys are standing by in case there’s a report of an oil spill,” Ouzinkie Mayor Dan Clarion said.

The Pacific Producer was reportedly carrying 8,000 gallons of fuel at the time of the incident, said Jade Gamble of the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation.

“There’s been a report of 8,000 gallons, but it’s not verified,” Gamble said. “The Coast Guard got that number from the local fuel supplier.”

The Coast Guard cutter Mustang responded to the incident and planned to conduct a safety boarding once the vessel is refloated.

As of Friday afternoon, the Marine Safety Detachment was still working to determine if the vessel would be refloated or towed.

Hughey said part of the investigation was also determining where the vessel was headed and why it was in the area.

Friday’s incident is the latest in a series of problems for the Pacific Producer. In January, the Kodiak Fire Department responded to a reported ammonia leak aboard the Pacific Producer. The incident took place at City Pier 2, where the ship had been moored for several weeks after a crew walkoff.

As the Pacific Producer was moved across Kodiak harbor after the reported leak, its bilge pumps allegedly dumped 150 gallons of diesel into the ocean.

A second ammonia scare happened after the ship tied up in St. Herman Harbor, and a former vessel employee was accused of damaging the ship’s engines with an ax in February.

The Pacific Producer’s owner, Chris Tsabouris, could not be reached for comment Friday.

Contact Mirror writer Nicole Klauss at

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.