As of today, the City of Kodiak will no longer provide animal control services outside city limits.

Borough residents can contact Alaska State Troopers to report animal cruelty, neglect, aggressive animals, dog bites and barking dogs, according to a release from the Kodiak Police Department.

Previously the Kodiak Island Borough contributed $80,000 per year toward the city’s expenses for employing an animal control officer under the police department. The borough cut the contribution from its budget for fiscal year 2012, which begins today.

At a joint meeting of the Kodiak Borough Assembly and Kodiak City Council Tuesday, Kodiak police chief T.C. Kamai said he expects the animal shelter will continue to accept animals brought from outside city limits.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.