A Kodiak man who has been sentenced to jail twice in 2012 and again arrested on unrelated charges last year will be sentenced Friday on charges involving criminal trespass.

Julian Valdez will face sentencing before Judge Steve Cole at 3:30 p.m., court documents show.

Other than the charges of criminal trespass in the second degree, which is a class-B misdemeanor, the 28-year-old Valdez was also charged on May 12 last year with “committing the crime of violation of conditions of release” after he has been charged with a crime. The charge is also a class-B misdemeanor, punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a fine of up to $2,000.

Court documents show that on May 12, 2014, the Kodiak Police Department received a call from Blake Still who reported seeing Valdez walking in the parking lot next to the A-Building of the Fir Terrace Apartments on Mill Bay Road. Still said the defendant was trespassed from the property.

Still said he knew Valdez from multiple contacts and showed investigators a notice from the apartment management to call the police when the defendant was seen in the property.

Police records show that Valdez has been trespassed from the apartments on Feb. 18, 2014. Court documents also said that a routine check with the Alaska Public Safety Information Network showed that Valdez had conditions of release dated May 8, 2014, for the same offenses and his conditions of release included obeying all federal, state and local laws.

In January 2012, Valdez was sentenced to jail 50 days with 50 days suspended and fined $1,000 with $500 suspended for theft in the fourth degree. He was placed on probation three years.

In June 2012, he was again sentenced to jail 60 days with 59 days suspended for theft in the third degree. He was ordered to pay restitution and ordered to complete 80 hours of community work service. He was on probation one year.

In May 2014, Valdez was also among several suspects arrested by Alaska State Troopers after a quick but major investigation involving kidnapping, robbery, a beating and thousands of dollars in heroin.

According to trooper reports, the Kodiak Police were alerted on May 12 about an injured man hobbling into Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center who reported that he had been beaten in a robbery and kidnapping along with two other men.

The police said the three victims, ages 17, 21 and 23, were camping in the woods outside the town of Kodiak when “they were awakened by someone cutting open their tent with a knife” in the early morning of May 12. The assailants bound the three men and repeatedly beat the 21-year-old victim with a large wooden dowel rod.

Police arrested Kodiak residents Jami Gibson, 39, and Philip Gibson, 38. Later, police hauled in Valdez.

The trooper report said Jami and Philip Gibson, along with Valdez were seeking retribution by contacting the 21-year-old victim in his tent, as the latter had allegedly stolen a large sum of money from the Gibson residence in Kodiak.

The victims were able to escape thereafter and seek medical treatment at the hospital, the trooper report said.

The troopers, the Alaska Wildlife Troopers and the Kodiak Police Department conducted a joint police investigation and served multiple search warrants at a residence, where officers found items used in the commission of the crimes, black tar and brown heroin, methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia inside the residence.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.