The Savannah Ray lies on its side after four fishermen were rescued Monday by a Coast Guard Air Station Kodiak helicopter in Chiniak Bay near Kodiak Island. (Photo by MICHAEL HORSTMAN/Special to the Daily Mirror)

Much of the fuel aboard the fishing vessel that went aground on Long Island has been removed although as much as 200 gallons of diesel may have leaked from a “compromised” fuel tank.

A new situation report from the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation issued Tuesday stated Global Diving and Salvage, LLC had removed about 2,300 gallons of diesel from three intact tanks onboard the vessel Savannah Ray.

An additional tank containing about 200 gallons of diesel was found to be “compromised,” the report said, and Don Fritz with ADEC said any fuel may have been lost over the week and a half since the grounding.

“It’s a work in progress as far as how much would have been in there,” Fritz said. “There’s likely not any fuel left in there.”

The fuel amount was an estimate because, Fritz said, the sight glass used to check fuel levels on that tank was broken.

The situation report said a “minor sheen” was seen while fuel was being removed from the boat, but any leakage does not appear to be affecting animals or land in the area.

“Coast Guard personnel conducted a shoreline assessment during the defueling operations and observed no shoreline impact,” the report stated.

Additionally, a harbor seal seen nearby during the fuel removal left the area unaffected, the report said, and no reports of affected marine life have been received.

The owner estimated that the Savannah Ray had 3,000 gallons of diesel, 300 gallons of hydraulic oil and 75 gallons of lube oil onboard when the boat went aground on Long Island at 3 a.m. on Feb. 16.

Fritz said the owners of the Savannah Ray were expecting to have a request for proposals for salvaging the vessel issued on Tuesday or Wednesday. As far as a timeline, it will be several weeks or even months before bids are returned and proposals accepted.

“It may come out somewhat quickly, it may have to wait until summer,” Fritz said.

Julie Herrmann is a staff reporter at the Kodiak Daily Mirror. Contact her at 486-3227 ext. 627.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.