With visions of hairnets and tater-tots in my mind, I was secretly excited about becoming the substitute lunch lady at St. Mary’s School. The regular lunch lady at St. Mary’s had resigned and several parents and myself members stepped up to fill the gap for the remainder of the year.

As I ran through the woods in the dark, I told myself I couldn’t let myself be frightened by a few shadows on the trees. The rational part of my mind knew the shadows were from Girl Scout flashlights — absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Sometimes its good to be a little scared, I had re-ass…

Today at work, I watched the snowflakes falling gracefully from the sky. I returned to my computer to do my typing, distracted. The snow hypnotized me. If the past two winters have taught me one thing, it is to appreciate every delicious white flake falling from the sky. My daughter loves to…

Sometimes home is a feeling, a sense. A space. The St. Mary's parking lot is bustling with first-day-of-school excitement. Excited kids and parents gathering bags of supplies and make their way eagerly into school. As I walk into St. Mary's foyer holding a bag exploding with note paper and p…

A little over a month ago, in a window seat of the back row on a RAVN flight, I sobbed as I looked out on the ocean below. The passenger next to me, someone new to me, put his hand on my shoulder out of concern. Earlier that morning, my mom had passed away in Anchorage and I was on my way ho…

One year ago I sat across the desk of the then-newspaper editor, Roni Toladanes. It was a warm March afternoon and the blinds were closed, holding out the spring light. I was there inquiring about the possibility of writing a column. Roni sat behind his desk with his longish dark hair, glass…

8:30 a.m.: “Good luck, Battle of the Books team!” The St. Mary’s schoolmates cheer in unison off the porch. I’m picking up four students from the St. Mary’s third/fourth-grade class to go compete in their first ever Battle of the Books. The morning school assembly cheers the students on as c…

Confused glances from strangers, seemingly psychic moments and a life speckled with coincidences — just some of the many ingredients for existence as an identical twin. Many of my Mountain Views column readers may not know I have an identical twin sister, Ella, here on the island. Ella and I…

In the past month there have been several well-known celebrity deaths, including David Bowie and Alan Rickman, both of whom leave artistic legacies in their musical and cinematic talents. Here in Alaska, we said goodbye to Eva Saulitis. Eva was a scientist, teacher and writer who lived in Ho…

The buzzer goes off, reverberating throughout the North Star gym. The sound takes me back to the basketball part of my youth in a way that a Rusted Root song takes me back to my Ithaca college days. My twin sister, Ella, sits next to me and her mere presence is calming; I’m glad she was able…

My mom once said that traveling with children on an airplane is like traveling with little time bombs. You never know when they're going to go off. And when they do go off, its not going to be pretty.

Pish, pish, pish, pish,” the Girl Scouts call out to the trees, hoping to draw in birds. We are convened by the Potato Patch Lake platform to bird together, where a platform overlooks the lake as well as interpretive display with names and pictures of birds. One of the Scouts, Coral, stands …

The sharp whistle stopped every one in action. You could almost hear a pin drop in the gym. The small mob of basketball-playing elementary boys convened in the center by the adults. The unknowns were hanging in the air. For the players, the parents and the coaches. This was the start of  Lit…

The fogs and rains have descended once again on Kodiak. Fall is in full swing and the rain is welcomed by many. The water reservoir levels were low and some salmon were still high and dry waiting for the rains. This weather gives us silent permission to retreat indoors for baking, canning, q…

It was a sunny Saturday morning and the girl scouts climbed out of their family cars ready for an adventure. They each had their own backpack which held a water bottle, sack lunch and jacket-all the makings needed for a good Kodiak adventure. Our troop was finishing up hikes working towards …

This is the third and final piece in a series focusing on the transition to motherhood and working to find a balance with motherhood, exercise, work, time for self, etc. This series includes perspective from several local moms on their experiences of making the transition to motherhood.

This is the second piece in a series focusing on working to find a balance with motherhood, exercise, work, time for self, etc. This series includes perspective from several local moms on their experiences and what has or hasn't worked for them in the journey of motherhood.

This is the first in a several part series focusing on the transition to motherhood and working to find a balance with motherhood, exercise, work, time for self, etc. This series will include perspective from several local moms on their experiences and what has worked or hasn't worked for th…

Sitting on the beach of Woody Island next to a big stack of camping gear, I was excited for the Girl Scouts to arrive on the seiner F/V Silver Fox. The weather and transportation plans were cooperating for our weekend camping trip! The state park campsite was vacant. I could breath a sigh of…

It can be easy to put aside the things that are the richest with possibility in exchange for newer, shinier options: cars, appliances, clothes — out with the old, in with the new. Thinking it will be better. But in the end, it’s these tried-and-true relics that become part of us, our story. 

In my line of work as a physical therapist, I work with people whose bodies and brains think a bear is chasing them. Quite literally. No, they don't come into me with sweat pouring down their face in frenzy. It’s subtler than that.

The floating object was truly a mystery to me. What was this large, white mass at the mouth of Afognak Bay? It hardly moved and looked like a small amphitheater. Very un-Alaskan, really. For a moment I thought it could be yacht. What could produce such a large bright reflection?

“Find your writing voice, or get your money back” the online writing class ad read. It was one year ago, and I had been casually scanning for distance-writing courses that could fit my schedule. My first thought upon reading this sales pitch was “I didn’t know I had or have a writing voice. …

As I stood on the edge of the gravesite in progress, I was suddenly grateful that my husband, Patrick, is an archaeologist and so at ease with digging large holes. Skilled with a shovel, Patrick stepped on the top edge of the blade and broke into the outer layer of the soil so automatically …